2018 marked an incredible year of rapid growth and widespread adoption for Blue J. To celebrate another year of success, we’ve recounted a few notable highlights:
Blue J raised $9.3 million CAD in a series A round to be used for expanding into the US market, expanding our product suite, and growing our go-to-market and product development teams.
“Blue J’s artificial intelligence solutions are being rapidly adopted by top legal and accounting professionals….In addition to this significant market validation, the company brings together a great team with a unique skillset that includes law, statistics, and technology.” — Alex Baker, partner at Relay Ventures
In 2018, Blue J launched Blue J HR, an AI-powered software that enables HR professionals to confidently tackle several common employment challenges. Blue J L&E, released in late 2017, was adopted by over 50 clients. We also expanded our Blue J Tax and Employment Foresight suites, bringing clarity to more tax and employment law questions.
In 2018, Blue J Legal provided value to over 120 firms by making legal and tax research more efficient and helping our clients continue to provide high quality advice. Read more about our clients’ thoughts on AI’s ability to innovate how professionals work:
David Chodikoff, Partner at Miller Thomson LLP, discussed the importance of innovation in the practice of law and how artificial intelligence can help practitioners better serve their clients.
Jenna Schwartz, Senior Manager at Richter LLP, explained how AI-based technologies like Blue J Tax are helping Richter stay ahead of the curve and provide the highest quality advice to their clients.
Blue J benefited from the resources and the expertise of the Lazaridis Institute, Creative Destruction Lab, NEXT Canada, MaRS Discovery District, UTEST, University of Toronto, OneEleven, Communitech, and C100.
In 2018, our team grew to 33 talented employees, including US and Canadian lawyers, data scientists, software developers, and the go-to-market team comprising of sales, marketing, and customer success professionals.
We are currently hiring for a number of roles.
In the media
Blue J featured in and contributed to a number of media features discussing AI in the legal field:
- How artificial intelligence can help navigate employee cannabis use legal issues (Canadian Lawyer, article)
- INSIGHT: Turning Standards into Rules: part 1, part 2, part 3 (Bloomberg BNA, articles)
- LegalTech is Building its Profile in the Professional Community (Techvibes, article)
- How machine learning can help you predict court decisions (Canadian Underwriter, article)
- Transcending Books: What’s Next For Law and Society? (TEDx, video)
- Turning legal analytics into a competitive advantage (National magazine, article)
- AI technology can enhance a practice (Law Times, article)
- The Ontario AI start-up helping to transform the legal sector (Invest in Ontario: Spotlight, article)
- Industry Interrupted, Episode 5 (The Globe and Mail, podcast)
On the ground
Blue J attended a number of events to speak about AI’s role in the future of tax and legal fields:
- Canadian Tax Foundation Conference 2018 (Vancouver, Canada)
- Canada AI Summit (New York City, USA)
- International Tax Conference presented by the International Fiscal Association (Calgary, Canada)
- Preventing, Navigating & Resolving Tax Disputes Conference, jointly presented by the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Tax Court of Canada (Montréal, Canada)
- Artificial Intelligence for Insights into Regulations panel at Canada School of Public Service (video on demand)
- HRPA 2018: Annual Conference & Trade Show (Toronto, Canada)
What lies ahead
Blue J is looking forward to 2019: we launch Blue J Tax in the US and take one step closer to bringing clarity to the law, everywhere and on-demand.
Keep up with Blue J by subscribing to our newsletter: